I need more time – by Arnie Wohlgemut
The new year means setting goals, personal challenges that help us grow our capacity. These personal challenges help guide our actions and decisions as we work through the coming weeks, months and year.
While I was reflecting on my past year, it occurred to me that there were a few times where I wished I had “five more minutes”. Whether it was in a meeting, interview or some other deadline, I apparently needed those extra minutes.
What to do! I cannot create more time.
After some careful thought and reflection, here are a few things I believe would have helped me:
- Stop putting off the tasks with deadlines. Even though I know better, there are times I fall into that trap.
- Say no to things that are not a productive use of time. This is especially important when working to a dead line.
- Stop putting off tasks with NO deadline. This really helps you be prepare for the chance meetings and short turn-around projects.
- Prepare. For meetings, interviews and events – be ready. Know what you want to say. At times I seem to stumble over words. I know my stuff – but somehow it stumbles out instead of being presented with confidence.
- Practice the “elevator speech” strategy. Knowing your points, precisely, helps communicate well.
So, my personal challenge for 2018 is to be better prepared by focussing my time towards things that need to be done.
What is your personal challenge?