Cookies and Training: 6 Metaphors – by Arnie Wohlgemut
Those of you who know me will smile when I say, “I love cookies.” Yes, it was no secret!
Each tempting bite is like the training opportunities. If shared effectively; your team consumes every bite, leaving no crumbs behind and interested in a second ‘cookie’.
Here’s how I see it:
1. Know your team’s favourite cookie. Understanding your team helps you tailor your training messages.
2. Presentation matters. A good-looking cookie is extremely tempting! Tempt your team with training that is presented well and they know what they are getting.
3. The “YUM” factor. I love oatmeal cookies. And, yes, I have a favourite brand. I buy it again and again because I know what I am getting. Credibility matters in taste and training. When your team knows you are presenting with proven knowledge and experience, they will listen.
4. Hit the spot. Each opportunity has a specific need; meet it! The right amount, not to small or big. Clarity is the key. Leave the ‘hints of chocolate” in the palate.
5. Make sure it’s a treat. Few people would see a cookie as a punishment or something they have to get through. Training should be the same. It gives them a boost to make it through the day.
6. Serve fresh. The cookie bag that has sat on my counter, open, for about 4 weeks is not all that great. Nor are old lessons repeated over and over. Keep learning and have an open mind, I’m sure you can find a fresh way to present a tasty morsel.
Grab a cup of coffee and a cookie as you figure out your approach to training.